Wednesday, January 23, 2008

 

Back to Blogging

It has been a long time since I posted to this blog, and I finally realized that it is because I’ve been acting like writing here was something I did as a kind of recreation in the time cracks between my regular teaching and writing work. But this past semester was especially busy because of some crazy complications in my personal life, and I didn’t have a lot of unfilled cracks, so I’ve made just one post here since August. I had been too busy even to notice this, until I got email asking if I had abandoned my blog. I hadn’t intended to stop posting… I just never posted.

But during that same time period when I had ignored this blog, I wrote about 50 new lectures for my two courses at UC Berkeley ( Information Organization & Retrieval and The Information & Services Economy), wrote two other papers, gave several professional presentations at meetings and conferences, and ran a very interesting research seminar. I estimate that I wrote 2000 emails to students, former students, or other folks, and probably half of them had some interesting information that might have been useful to other people if I’d exposed it here.

So today I’m going to see if I can blur that line between blogging and work, and see if I can use this blog to publish more of what I’m writing and talking and hearing about. Today was the first day of the spring semester, and I’m once again teaching Document Engineering. This will be the 7th time I’ve taught this class, and it will be the last time, and that’s another good reason to spend more time here reflecting about it as the semester progresses.

-Bob Glushko



Comments:
Glad your back. I enjoy reading your blog! I'd love to hear more on the new lectures you wrote and the things you discuss about with your students!
Blurring the line between work and blogging, sounds familiar. Did you see the post by Luis Suarez on him not using email anymore?
 
Greetings everybody, This webpage is excellent and so is how the matter was expanded. I like some of the feedback as effectively though I would favor all of us keep it on matter so as add worth to the subject. It will be also encouraging to the author if we all may share it (for a few of us who use bookmarking services equivalent to a digg, twitter,..).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?